Saturday 5 May 2012

Is it wise to blog when you are just returning from witnessing a cup final loss at the pub? I mean Jessica Leandra was emotional when she composed that infamous tweet! For the avoidance of doubt, let me state that I am of sound and sober mind but I cannot vouch for my emotional state for I am upset. So there is the disclaimer.
There used to be an advert from my youth (this is how upset I am) in a show called World Sport Special and the voice over would say something about the "bitter taste of defeat." You see, I am not bitter about the loss. Nor am I angry at the ref who had to make a split second decision on whether the ball crossed the line or not. Even the chaps in the space station could see that it had crossed the line but that is beside the point I wish to make. I am upset that we lost the match because our selection was wrong from the get go.
The choice of strategy in any battle is key, followed by the performance of the the individual soldiers in battle. when you leave a seasoned and hard working Kuyt and Rodrigues on the bench in favour of the error prone and confidence shy Henderson and Spearing, you are digging yourself in to a hole. Why would anyone want to start a cup final with a tunnel to victory when the playing field is already even?
For the sake of clarity and good order, I must state as a loyal and disciplined member of Liverpool Football Club that I am an admirer of King Kenny. That admiration does not blind me to the on and off occasion when the King's wardrobe is somewhat inadequate, which it clearly was today. I am in pain because we lost a match we could have won, had we made the right tactical choices. Buy Brit has not worked. The squad is not big enough but even with our constrained resources, we could have made a better team selection and won or lost for the right reasons. For now, it is just pain. I will be ok in the morning. I think so. At least Torres did not play. Good luck to Chelsea against Bayern in Champions League final. When they have won five of those, the guys in the pub who were dancing around me will have earned the right to do just that. Not yet. You will never walk alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment