Tuesday 12 June 2012

I saw joy yesterday. I simultaneously experienced it too as I witnessed it. It was my spontaneous reaction to the spontaneous reaction of a little Ukrainian boy after 35 year old gladiator Andrei Shevchenko scored for his country. The quick action by the camera person delivered a joyous celebration that was at once pure, innocent and beautiful in its expression to millions of homes across the globe. I have a soft spot for Sheva from his days at AC Milan and I felt sorry for him for the way he was treated a few years ago at Chelsea. The fact that he rolled back the years after a difficult season of injuries and naysayers made me happy for him when he scored. Follow that up with the idea that he scored the opening goals for his country in their opening match while they host a soccer tournament whose pre-tournament publicity has been negative and you have the joy of all Ukrainians. It is their veteran star and Captain who scored and created hope for progress to the next round, especially after group favourites England and France drew in their match in the process dropping points. It does not mean they will win the tournament but no one can deny them their joy.


What are your simple joyful moments during your day? When I drive on the highway with Ali Farka Toure strumming his guitar over the speakers that, for example, is joy. Below is a great example of joy that I have ever found. It is from the Honey Sutras by Ingrid Goff-Maidoff:

"When I add a spoon of honey to my tea, I give thanks to a dozen bees for the work of their whole lives. When my finger sweeps the final drop of sweetness from the jar, I know we've enjoyed the nectar from over a million flowers. This is what honey is: the souls of flowers, a food to please the Gods. Honey eaters know that to have a joyful heart, one must live like the bees, sipping sweet nectar from each moment as it bloooms. And life, like the world of honey, has its enchantments and stings."

Yesterday, I saw and experienced joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment