Tuesday 26 June 2012

I spent the better part of the day at the French high school in Morningside, Johannesburg today, having a great time. I was a teacher of French for eight years in Zimbabwe, before joining the private sector. I was invited, as a result of my private sector and teaching experience to help evaluate the presentations by 14 year old learners who had just spent 4 days in a work environment shadowing an employee or job title of their choice.

Nope, it is not a typo, I did write 14 year old and they did spend 4 days observing General Managers, Chefs, Marketing Coordinators, Sports coaches and Vets. Firstly, I was delighted to be back in the field of my first love (in terms of work) and secondly, how refreshing to see 14 year old children presenting living documents via power point on a smart board and in detailed bound dossiers, on real life and giving their own opinions on the job. As I said before, I have been a teacher before and I have traveled with school children to France and Reunion Island for more than ten years. I have to declare, that the level of analysis, thought and presentation when you compare apples with apples is far greater in pupils in the French system than in the British one, which encourages rote learning and regurgitation of copious amounts of notes and facts.

French learners not only have a wonderful turn of phrase, their approach to life is philosophical and reflective. It would be worth the while of those seeking to reform education systems in Anglophone countries to have a look at the French.

I had a great day today.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr Gumbo!

    This is Nicola Ball here; I came with you to Reunion in 2000 (but you'd be forgiven for not remembering me given how many students you've had contact with over the years!)

    Anyway, I was wondering if you still have contacts in Reunion Island - I have a cousin who would love to arrange a cultural exchange for herself.

    Please find me on Facebook - Nicola Ruth Hampton these days - if you have a moment, I'd really appreciate it!

    Hope you and the family are well,

    Nicky

    ReplyDelete